Monday, August 27, 2007

Summer Break, Last Week



Birthday Cake
I have no business starting this project.
But I absolutely
cannot resist. The yarn is
wonderful and I LOVE
the new Skacel addi turbo
lace needles I'm using. The whole
thing is like butter in my hands.

This is the last week of summer break. School starts in one week and one day. And I truly will be surprised if we make it until then because I believe this last week will do me in. I know I say that every week but this time I mean it. I am tired of my same 3 pairs of shorts and my collection of t-shirts. I am tired of flies in my house because we open the back door 3493 times a day. And I am tired of trying to entertain two children who can no longer be entertained.


We have no plans this week. Through a series of mishaps and other unfortunate scheduling changes, we have no plans. This is going to be the longest week of my life. The only thing that saved my childrens' lives today was the fact that Eric, who is utterly exhausted, actually fell asleep during nap time and Emily-the-neighborgirl came over looking for Ryan. I sent them to her house. I had spent the morning saying the same 2 things over and over again: 1. "All Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle play is for outside". and 2. "I am on the phone!" The fact I was on the phone completely alluded them this morning. As in, they would each come to me and carry on detailed conversations with me, while I was talking on the phone, about the snack they want. Or they would start to play the piano. Or turn into Ninja Turtles. Again. And I may host a giant Spiderman book burning if they don't stop fighting over those damn books. We have about 17 of them--how can they each want the exact same one at the same time, every single solitary time? Did I mention school starts next Tuesday?

In the meantime, I've been folding laundry (that I washed 3 days ago) and knitting things I should not be knitting. I made a rather large mistake in Peter's birthday gift. Nothing difficult. Just incredibly annoying and completely avoidable had I chosen to read the directions. So I should really get on that. But that knit birthday cake was calling me. Loud. I just had to try it. It is a complete joy to knit and I am now in real trouble since the last thing I needed to do was begin another project.


Minnie Mouse Bootie
This bootie will have a
red knit bow on top
and a knit ankle strap.
It's so cute, it just
about kills me.

And then yesterday, just to see how it would go, I decided to make a set of booties from the new book I picked up at Knit/Purl last week. Oh. My. Word. Completely adorable. So great. Now I'm working on 2 projects that I should not have started. But I can't help myself. The sheer adorableness of both of these projects is like a drug. A really yummy drug. The booties are so precious, I was actually amazed that I was able to produce it with my own two hands. I don't often stare in wonder at something I have knit, but I did that with the booties. Serious drug. They even make me giggle a little. Of course, I'm shipping any and all booties I make right off to Venue!

I believe these knitting projects may be what gets me through this week. That, and beer.

1 comment:

David Smith said...

Our boys are melting down too. It's either nervousness about school starting up again, or the fact mommy has been gone a week and a half. I'm glad you have your drug (and beer) to keep you sane. Thanks for the weekly updates. They've been fun to read.erveq