Saturday, August 25, 2007

I Killed The Tooth Fairy

Ryan just lost his 5th tooth. He is about to start 2nd grade and definitely has a 2nd grader's smile! His two front bottom teeth have completely come in, he has one top tooth 3/4 in and one just starting to poke through, and now he has a new hole.

The other day he was really working on this very loose 5th tooth and he asked me, point blank, if I was the Tooth Fairy. He wanted to know if I was the one to leave the money. Last March we had a similar discussion about Leprechauns, with disastrous results. So I tried everything. I tried to change the subject, I gave him the old "what to you think", I tried to focus on the loose tooth again....he wasn't buying it. He asked me, flat out, "are you the one who gives me the money"? So I told him the truth.

He really wasn't that bothered by it. When I explained that we can keep playing the game and he'll continue to get money for lost teeth, that seemed to settle things for him. Ryan was fine. I think he suspected the truth and was ready to hear it.

Not so for his father. Oh My Word. MIKE was the one to have a complete fit over this. He practically accused me of sabotaging Ryan's childhood. Why didn't I call him at work to discuss this?! Seriously? Ryan asks who the Tooth Fairy is and my response is "wait, let me call your dad"?!? I have been over this with Mike several times. Many more times than I have with Ryan. I have explained it in great detail. It's not as if I sat this kids down one day and said "it's time you knew the truth. We've been living a lie.....". Ryan really wanted to know. He was ready to know. I tried to distract him and get him to answer his own questions, but he would have none of it. He was ready for the truth.

And that is the real issue here. I cannot look my kids in the eye and lie to them. I'm fine with leading them along the primrose path and allowing them their childhood fantasies. But when I'm asked point blank if I am really the Tooth Fairy, I feel convicted to tell the truth. I don't ever want Ryan to feel that I've lied to him. I've caught him lying a few times lately, which just furthers my point. I have been lecturing him on the evils of lying. I need to walk the walk.

According to Mike, he would have no problem saying the words "yes, the Tooth Fairy is real". Big talk for the man who was not there and did not have to make that decision Nyahhhhh.

So now Mike is convinced that I'm out for blood and that Santa is next on the chopping block. I am NOT willingly trying to destroy their childhood dreams. But at some point all kids figure it out. I distinctly remember a time when I believed in Santa. I can remember lying in my bed listening for reindeer. And at some point I stopped believing. I have no recollection of the event. No trauma. Apparently I was ready to grow out of it.

Am I looking forward to the Santa talk? Absolutely not. In fact, I think my answer will be "let's ask your father"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you wrote had me laughing!! You must have very fun days!! Good luck on Santa Clause