Thursday, May 1, 2008

AAAUUUUUUUUUGHHHH%#%*^%&*@!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to my sweater class last night. I started out with a marginally good attitude. Shiori was planning to talk about the arms eye shaping and the short rows for the shoulder shaping--two areas I am very nervous about because it's really the only serious shaping in my cardigan. On my sloper I had the decreases and rows all counted out, but I have been too nervous to start the shaping until I sat in on that class just to hear the same information one more time.

While the class was sitting around the table, Mara (my manager) and I were sitting in the back of the room, listening in and trying not to take up space and/or valuable class discussion time. We were listening intently, comparing notes with each other. This was about the time Mara noticed that my sloper was considerably bigger than hers and she asked why she could fit both her front and back on one piece of paper when I have a separate piece of paper for each section of the sweater. Mara is the one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Truly. She is an incredibly nice person. So it always makes me laugh that she can swear like a pirate. Which is exactly what started happening when I pointed out that she forgot to add ease into her sloper. In other words, she did not allow for any breathing room--her sweater was going to be knit like a form fitting body suit. So the expletives started flying as she realized that she needs to rip out everything she has already knit and redraw her sloper.

Mara and I then pulled ourselves back into Shiori's lesson just in time to see her draw a sloper with shoulder drop of 3-4 centimeters. Now, you don't need to have any knowledge of anything I am talking about to appreciate the fact that Mara and I completely freaked out when Shiori said this, because our shoulder drops were drawn in at 3 inches. Completely forgetting ourselves, we both started yelling

"Did you say centimeters?!?"
"But you told our class inches!!"
"[a bunch of pirate-y expletives]"
"Do I have to redo everything?"

And Shiori kind of chuckled and said "Oops, I think I may have told you inches when I meant to say centimeters. It will be fine...."

Fine?!? Fine? Oops?!?

During the 2nd half of class everyone started to draw their slopers while Mara and I sat on the floor, frantically erasing and throwing the calculator at each other, muttering under our breaths, cursing Leslie who has already finished her completely perfectly knit sweater and thinking seriously about hiring Leslie just to knit our sweaters for us.

After class I begged Shiori to stay late and look at my revisions. After she pointed out several other areas that have been affected by her little "oops", we decided I should just redraw my entire pattern. Because I have time for that. By this point Mara had a full blown case of Tourette's and was practically erasing a hole into the middle of her pattern.

What will I be doing today? Not redrawing my sloper. Honestly, I don't know when that will happen, but it won't be today. I have this little project you see below that is sweetly calling my name. I think this pile of laundry is actually as tall as Eric. I still have hats to finish for tomorrow, and if I don't sweep the kitchen floor I'll just sit Eric under the table and feed him a fairly nutritious lunch from what he finds under there. I know I saw at least 2 food groups. Fortunately I'm not one of those good parents who does not believe in tv.



New home decor?
I have 4 of these baskets around the house.
I can't do any more laundry until I empty them
out and put everything away. The fact that my
entire family steps around this like it's a floor
lamp is so motivating....

1 comment: