Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Things were ho-hum and then....

This has been an annoying week. School has been delayed by 2 hours the past 2 days due to ice and snow. And while I appreciate the Issaquah School District looking out for our safety and all, clearly they didn't pick up on the fact that a 2 hour delay means an additional 2 hours I have to spend with my kids. My kids who have been fighting this week. My kids who seem to miraculously discover the same forgotten toy at the same time and then start to fight to the death over ownership of said toy. One child, who shall remain nameless but is just about to turn 5 years old, is especially annoying because he has given up his naps once and for all (I don't want to hear it, you people whose toddlers quit napping at the age of 6 months. It hurts whenever it happens. The kid has been napping in the afternoon for nearly 5 years--you try giving up a tried and true habit that you have employed daily for 5 years. You'd be grumpy too...). I keep putting him in his bed and order him to close his eyes and his mouth, and he lies there very sneakily and quietly until 42 minutes later when his CD is done. And then I hear the THUMP of his annoying little feet hitting the floor and the pantless wonder appears at the top of the stairs.

The other annoying child, who frankly, is equally annoying, has decided that he is the boss of us all. No one in this house can do anything to his standards. We can't play Wii tennis correctly, we can't use a lightsaber correctly, and our wizarding powers are severely lacking as well. And we have the audacity to ask him to do his homework, eat food, pee, and clean up his own toys. We suck as parents.

So I've been doing my best to ignore these wretched little beasts and KNIT. Oh, the knitting list....

--I'm finishing up a special order of 2 viking hats to send off to Spokane
--I still have the Tillie Tomas scarf
--Cinderella is a mere 2 rows bigger
--Leah's self patterning Regia sock yarn just arrived for her convertible mittens
--Venue and Happy Delusions need some sprucing up
--Erin just asked me for a girl viking hat for her 4 year old

and, the biggie:

Venue just asked me to be their Artist of the Month in March. This means I need to have HATS, HATS, and more HATS by the beginning of March. And as Artist of the Month I am to help host Venue's portion of the Ballard Art Walk, which takes place the 2nd Saturday of each month. So of course I said YES, knowing full well how certifiably crazy this will make me. But how do you turn that down?

I think it's time to teach the boys to knit. If for no other reason than to keep them from fighting over who owns which dvd in our cupboard because my answer that they belong to the family is the lamest answer ever. Honestly, if they could, they would walk around the house with a label maker, slapping their names on every single solitary item in the house. Oh, there I go again, I was talking about something fun and now we're back to the boys. See how annoying they are?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I hear you on the 2 hour delay...why even bother with school on Wednesday? They just get to school, have lunch have maybe an hour of class (guessing on that one) and then come home. Tuesday we waited for the bus for 40 minutes (after the 2 hour delay) and finally gave up and went back home...it was too darn cold to be waiting any longer than that. School is vital to a parent's sanity in my opinion.