Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend Update



Fine--it's been a bit longer than a weekend. I have bigger fish to fry here.

First of all, before we get down to it, I need to express my alarm and utter dismay that we got 3 inches of snow this afternoon. Today, March 9th, we got 3 inches of snow. It stopped snowing for a bit, and, looking out the window, it has started up again. The schools were so caught off guard that I had to pick Ryan up from school because his bus got stuck on a hill somewhere.

And now back to your regularly scheduled blog.

Life here around the royal residence is, in a word, stressful. The King's job is ending in 3 weeks and he is desperately trying to find another one. And since I hate for him to have all the fun, I've been searching for him, while he is at work. So now we have 2 of us frantically searching for something, anything that will pay the mortgage. If it turns out to be the job of his dreams, FABULOUS. If he ends up bagging groceries at Safeway, we'll take it if it means we can eat.

I'm convinced that we'll end up living in a tent somewhere because this job market is pretty dried up. So I'm spending my precious blogging time (and knitting time, and cleaning time, and being nice and friendly time) helping Mike look for a job. Because you all know how much I hate camping.

The little time I have been spending knitting, I have been making these socks for a friend at church. This is some of the Lorna's Laces that Jane gave me and I am loving the pattern. Tons of cables, but it's a fun knit. I can't wait to see how they turn out.


I have one of Mike's Dream in Color Smooshy socks finished. I tried this twisted rib pattern and it looked awful. I then tried this retro diamond pattern and I made a ton of mistakes in just the first pattern repeat. Now he's getting garter rib and he's going to like it.


This is some more Lorna's Laces from Jane and my sister Caroline claimed it. I'm trying to find a fun sock pattern that won't make me crazy, but so far I'm not having much luck. I have been given so much fabulous sock yarn, I have this obsessive need to knit it all right now. You don't need to remind me that I'm in the middle of 2 pairs, still owe my mom a mitten, have Mike's sweater to do, and all the baby hats. And I'm also working on this:

This is from the Estonian Lace book and I'm using some stash yarn (because jobless homeless people don't buy much yarn). It a very simple pattern and it would be knitting up quickly if it were not for all of the mistakes I keep making. This is the easiest and smallest project in the book and I have had nothing but problems with it. You would think I had never read a chart before. You would think that counting to a number higher than 21 was a foreign concept to me. Because this simple little 21 stitch lace pattern is winning a game that I didn't even realize we were playing. This easy scarf I was going to whip up in a couple of evenings has turned into my arch nemesis. Which sucks because there are more things in that book I want to knit. And I already have the yarn in my stash. This does not bode well for my temper.

That's all the news around here. All job search all the time. If anyone wants to hire a very nice man who drives a messy car, has a secret crush on Elizabeth Shue and is married to a frantic woman with a dwindling yarn stash, you know where to find me.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Socks and yarn looking great. Goodness, hope Mike finds a job soon. Meanwhile, keep selling those lever shocks.My DH's company has gone from over 60 to 2 employees on the west coast. He's hanging on by the skin of his teeth. Our prayers are with you.xx

Susie said...

Love the color and design on Pat's socks!