Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Floodgates

Today is Audrey's holiday bazaar. I think I'm ready for it and I'm excited! I have no idea what to expect. No idea at all. But I have a lot of hats and they are pretty darn cute, as well as cupcakes, felted pears, and Cinderella. I'm bringing my milk glass cake pedestal for the cupcakes and I'm putting the pears in my Candlewick salad bowl. I also have a couple of makeshift hat stands and I printed out a bunch of pictures to put in an album if people want to see more of my work. And there has been the promise of appetizers and wine, so that alone will make the afternoon a success!

Despite all this, my state of panic has risen to a new level. "Why?" you ask--well let me tell you. I've just met Anna. Anna visited Venue last week and fell in love with my hats and booties. Anna owns a little artisan gift shop in Burien (from what I'm told, it's in old Burien. As in Olde. Who knew?). Anna contacted me last week about the possibility of buying some of my stuff. We talked inventory and prices for a bit and I emailed her a list. I didn't hear from her for a few days and so you all know where my mind went. Anna hates me. Anna has changed her mind. Anna has found someone much better and cheaper... and then Anna emailed. Anna's email just about knocked me off my chair. This whole time I had been thinking she wanted a few hats. No no, Anna has a LIST:

3 pairs Minnie Mouse booties
3 pairs Bumble Bee booties
2 pairs Duck Flippers
2 Pumpkin hats
1 Strawberry hat
1 Blueberry hat
1 Eggplant hat
2 Viking Boy hats
1 Viking Girl hat
2 Cupcake hats

That is $350 worth of merchandise. Paid up front. And she wants it by November 10th. I was really straight with her and told her there was no way I could make it all before the 10th. No way. Even if I gave my entire family knitting lessons--well, actually that would be a step in the wrong direction, but you see my point. Anna has a big open house on the 10th, so I told her I would get as many to her as I can by then, and then deliver the rest soon after. She seemed ok with that, but let me tell you, the pressure is on. I have less than 10 days to knit as many items as I can. So far I have 1 completed hat and 2 partial hats. I actually need to buy yarn for the booties and making 8 pairs of booties fills me with a little bit of dread. I love the booties, but they can be a little tedious. And I need to make 16 of them.

But before you become too judgemental about how crazy I am, let me remind you that this is gift buying season and my things at Venue are becoming popular. Last Saturday I brought them a Boy Viking hat, a snowman, candycane stocking cap, and some more cupcakes. Diane emailed me that night. The Viking hat didn't even last the day and I sold 2 more cupcakes. So I have to keep up with Venue as well!

I have to keep reminding myself--this is what I have been working so hard to achieve. This is a good problem to have. This is what success looks like. Unfortunately success also looks like piles of laundry, dishes in the sink, dust all over the furniture, and toothpaste all over the boys' bathroom counter. But after I'm done with Anna, I'm hoping success will also look like a big trip to the mall for me!

No comments: