Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Cinderelly

So, I ordered all of the yarn for the Cinderella Topsy Turvy doll. Webs has rather large, clear color palettes, and I felt pretty confident I was ordering just the right colors. The box came in just a few days, which again was very impressive. I was absolutely delighted when I opened the box, pulling out all of Cinderella's colors. Until I pulled out the lavender skein. It was suppose to be a cornflower blue. On the color palette it truly looked blue. Cinderella's ball gown is blue. But no, what I actually ordered is a very distinct lavender. The problem? I HATE purple. I really do. I generally have very little to do with anything purple if I can help it. Purple is the color of unicorns and fairytopia and little girls who tattle. I have always hated purple. I am not going to throw myself into this magnificent project and end up with a purple doll.

So I was able to start with the head and bodice, which went rather quickly. So quickly in fact, that I made two. This will be a piece of cake! I just need to zip to the yarn store and get the perfect blue yarn.

Poor Eric was thrown into the van and promised a variety of treats for yet another trip to Pacific Fabrics. My original intent was to purchase about $1.78 worth of ribbon for my Easter Bunny hats I've listed on Etsy. And if I happen to see a skein of blue yarn in just the right shade and weight, so much the better. I'm not sure what happened, but $46, one lollipop and box of raisins later, Eric and I were on our way home.

I've actually mastered the darling scalloped picot edge and am quite proud of myself. However, it is now apparent that the rest of the project will not go nearly as quickly as the head and bodice. Cinderella has a rather full skirt with 129 tiny stitches. I'm starting to think I was a little too ambitious in assuming I could whip up two of them. Perhaps my granddaugher will enjoy it.

On the kid front, yesterday The Reptile Guy came to Eric's preschool. I was so excited to go, simply to watch the pure joy on Eric's face. Eric is very introverted and often hides his emotions in public. But Eric loves reptiles so much...I just knew this would be the event for him.

Turns out, Eric even exceeded my expectations. He was truly in his element. The Reptile Guy was fantastic. He had an enormous toad, several lizards, an alligator, scorpion, iguana, and snakes. The snakes were saved for last, which just about drove Eric crazy. As each new creature was removed from it's carrier, Eric would shout "where are the snakes?!". For the grand finale The Reptile Guy had his pet boa constrictor slither across the laps of the kids. Eric had a look of sheer delight (that's Eric in the dark blue t-shirt). And how much do I love my baby? So much that I'm seriously considering The Reptile Guy for Eric's next birthday party. In my home. Reptiles. In my home. A live alligator. In my home. I think I may have to draw the line at the scorpion.





No comments: