Monday, March 26, 2007

Monday...again

I'm not sure how this happened, but Mondays have turned into a day of housework for me. It's not that I don't clean on the weekends. I really do. But I have a husband and an extra kid hanging around on Saturday and Sunday and, well, by Monday my house needs a good once over. Mike really hates to do housework. He will get very offended when he reads this and point out to me that he helps out a lot, which he does, but he is not the neatest person. I mean, he is neat, as in nifty, but not neat, as in tidy. For example, he did clear the table after dinner last night, which was very nice and helpful. But he did not notice the splats of jello on the floor, which I cleaned up this morning. Now, if it had been clear, invisible jello, he might be able to make an excellent case. However, this jello was bright red....

So it's been a day of drudgery for me. The laundry pile is astronomical. Not only do we have the usual Monday amount of laundry, but over the weekend Ryan had 2 accidents in bed and Alice, the 14 year old neurotic passive aggressive cat also had an accident, in our bed. All over the quilt and the down comforter. So that's a few loads for the sanitizing feature in my new washer. And to top that off, we finally found the leak from our bathroom.

About 3 years ago my dad added a new bedroom and bathroom onto our house, making a story and a half into a true two story. Our old bedroom became the kid's playroom. This was a much needed remodel and not a day goes by that I am not grateful for it. The new bathroom is directly above our old master bath, downstairs. A couple of years ago the ceiling started leaking in the old downstairs bathroom. Turns out the new grout in the new shower was bad...that was a long story.

We never repaired the ceiling because, well, I don't know. About 2 months ago, the ceiling started leaking again. But very inconsistantly this time. We shut things off, we turned them back on, we stopped using it, we could not find the pattern or figure out what was leaking this time. My parents babysat for us on Saturday and my dad decided to get to the bottom of it. After cutting a few larger holes in our already ruined ceiling he discovered the source of the leak--the upstairs toilet. YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

All that to say, I have bathmats and bathroom floors to sanitize today as well.

So today I have vacuumed everything, I've dusted, I've changed sheets, I'm hauling laundry all over the house....it's only 11:00 am and I'm exhausted. I could never clean houses for a living. I honestly think it would age me 20 years.

I sat and colored with Eric for a while, but he keeps criticizing my technique and color choices, so I'm done with that.

I haven't actually folded any laundry yet today. I've put laundry away from the baskets in our rooms that have been there since the last laundry day (I needed to empty them to re-use the baskets), but I just don't know if I have it in me right now to fold. It's a double edged sword though because if I don't fold it then it will sit in baskets in the living room, taunting me. And I can't relax at night when I'm surrounded by piles of laundry. But it is such a tedious, thankless job...

I sold 4 cupcake hats as a special order, so unfortunately for Mike that meant I got to make a trip to the yarn store yesterday. After doing a bit of shopping around for yarn for the Cinderella project, I came to the realization that I should order the yarn. No store is going to have every color I need and I don't want to mix and match brands...Cascade 220 comes in every conceivable color and Webs (www.yarn.com) sells it at a discount--how could I resist?! So far this is promising to be a much better knitting week than last week. And if everyone would stop peeing all over the house, I may develop a slightly better attitude about cleaning. Slightly.

No comments: