Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The times, they are a changin'

Interesting times here at Knitting Queen headquarters. Yes indeed. Not a dull moment these days, unless you want to watch some tv. More on that in a sec.

My dear husband Mike lost his job. And not in the traditional sense that one loses a job. Mike was a financial planner. Has been for the last 7 years. And the last 7 years have been crazy. Lots of ups. And even more downs. Commission based jobs are like that. But it was a job he loved. He worked hard to build his business and really truly believed in what he was doing.

Anyone want to buy a mutual fund these days? How about a variable annuity? Anyone have a bunch of extra money you want to sock away for a rainy day? I didn't think so. And neither did any of Mike's clients. Unless you are living under a rock, you must know that anything to do with the economy, stock market and all that jazz is NOT DOING WELL. Know what happens when that is YOUR WHOLE LIVELIHOOD? It dries up. Goes kaput.

And so we've been praying a bit. Actually, a lot. A whole lot. I could be a Benedictine Monk for all the praying I've been doing. Because we're broke. I mean broke. I mean, as broke as you think you are, we're broker. Broke, as in, we don't have satellite service right now because we can't pay our bill and when faced with the choice between groceries and tv, we chose the groceries.

Our dvr still works and apparently Dish gives you two free channels each month. So we have been watching the Hallmark channel. Which is killing Mike. Kill-ing him. Walker, Texas Ranger. Murder She Wrote. Little House on the Prairie. And a myriad of made-for-tv movies, all starring Melissa Gilbert. And I've actually been taping episodes of Little House on the Prairie. Yes, this is what my life has been reduced to. We told the boys the satellite is broken, which they seem to accept, and Ryan has been watching Little House with me. I told him that when I was his age it was my FAVORITE show. Every Monday night at 8:00 my sister and I had to have our pajamas on and then we were allowed to sit on the yellow shag carpet in my parents' bedroom and watch Little House. Ryan then turned to me and said "hmmm...and now it's on every day!". Yep, at Knitting Queen headquarters, it's all Little House all the time. I think it's the Shannon Doherty episodes that may do Mike in. And we never know what that zany Jessica Fletcher is going to do next!

So I spend my evenings knitting baby hats while completely amazed that there are as many episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger as there are. I mean, this show was on for a few years. And if you stop to watch it, you'll be as amazed as I am. Hallmark channel. 10:00 pm. Check it out.

Mike does have something lined up with my brother-in-law. Not a lot of money, but something steady for a bit. So we're really thankful for that. And he's looking looking looking for anything and everything. Our families have been helpful. Amazingly helpful.

So, in case you're wondering why I'm not knitting more for myself these days, well, that would be why. That and the fact that I'm too caught up in why everyone around Jessica Fletcher seems to drop dead. Has no one thought to blame her for any of this? I mean seriously--why is anyone chosing to live in that little town of hers? Everyone around her kicks the bucket within 5 minutes of meeting her. Am I the only one to see that there is something really disturbing going on in Cabot Cove?

4 comments:

cori said...

OK, despite the situation, I must say I laughed out loud with your Murder She Wrote & Little House comments! Hang in there.

Meghan said...

I totally remember living for 8:00 p.m. and Little House - but when Mary went blind, I couldn't watch that one - way too stressful!!
Jack wants a W hat - can I add an order to your hat list?
Sorry about Mike's job situation, if I hear of anything I'll let you know, but I don't think he wants to work at the preschool - right?

Jane said...

Oh no KQ, I'm so sorry about Mike's job. We're on tenderhooks at this end too, scrambling to sort out our finances after moving over here and facing possible redundancy from the job that brought us!
When we moved we opted for the basic cable package as we couldn't afford anything else. For a while the kids missed Nickelodeon etc, but as time's gone on, they've got used to it and our $15 deal has been just fine. In fact we've all become more creative. Hubby spends free time in the garage or garden and the kids play outside, knit or build. Hopefully they're learning skills that will help them to weather the fiancial storms that we're all facing now.
BTW - you're so right about Jessica. If she moved into my street I'd be sorely tempted to move!! ;-)
Good luck in the coming weeks. Thoughts and prayers with you all.

Anonymous said...

I'm so amazed and impressed with you both and your willingness to be honest and upfront during this really difficult time. So glad our guys had a chance to talk-I know I need to give you a call too. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I know God has amazing things to teach you but I'm sure this is a painful way to learn them.
Had to read half of your blog out loud to Scott as usual since I couldn't keep my chuckles to myself! :)