Thursday, October 11, 2007

2 Days Closer to Death

I know anyone over 40 reading this is just rolling their eyes at me, but I am seriously having a little crisis here. I am 39. 39 years old. 363 days away from being 40. I always thought that my life would be so different at 40. I would have traveled, have matching furniture, finally figured out what to do with my hair...I don't know why I thought all that. 40 just seemed like such a long way away. I remember when my parents turned 40. I was in college. And here I am--that same age, wearing my Old Navy clothes, plumping up the pillows on my hand-me-down couches, running a 7 year old and a 4 year old to school every day.

Being ME at 39 does have it's good points. Yesterday Mike and the boys took me to Red Robin for dinner and I was carded when I ordered a margarita. I do look younger than Mike, despite the fact he is an entire week younger than I am, so there is some justice in the world.

Our day began yesterday with Ryan in our room at 4:00 a.m. asking if it was time to get up for Mommy's birthday. As it was indeed my birthday, I chose not to acknowledge him and let Mike deal with him. I finally got up around 6:45 when Ryan asked me, very nicely, for the second time if I would like to get up and go downstairs. The boys had hung up a couple of happy birthday banners and were literally jumping up and down waiting for me to open my presents. Which they then opened for me. From the boys I received the complete first season of I Love Lucy on dvd. The boys know how much I adore I Love Lucy and when Ryan was younger he thought every black and white show on tv was called Lucy. Last week TVLand had a Lucy marathon which I Tivo'd, so the boys and I have been watching a lot of Lucy. They great thing about it is, even though much of the dialogue is over their heads, there is a ton of hilarious physical comedy. And Ricky speaks Spanish, just like Dora.

Mike gave me a table-top swift (an accordion like thing for winding yarn) and a ball winder, so he rocks! The boys were very excited to see it in action, so I promptly put a skein of yarn on it and proceeded to mess the whole thing up and had to unwind it by hand and then use the ball winder to wind it up again. All 3 of them looked at me like "what do you need that thing for? we've seen you make a mess of your yarn without all the fancy new tools". So I'll try to redeem myself today.

I then had lunch with a friend and proceeded to go shopping without looking at the clock because Mike was taking the day off to deal with the boys for me. It didn't take him long to figure out why I get so cranky on Wednesdays, after driving Ryan to school, then driving Eric to school, then coming home for an hour and a half, then picking Eric up, then having a 15 minute lunch, then picking Ryan up, then coming home for 20 minutes, then driving Ryan to the doctor, then going to Kid's Choir at church that evening. All that, and he had to dig some holes in the back yard, in the rain, to prepare for the septic guy today...I, on the other hand, went to 2 yarn stores, the bookstore, and bought a new coat at Costco for $29. And when I returned home, the Viking Hat was waiting for me! Hee Hee!

My head is so full of things to knit for Venue and Audrey's gift show, I just don't even know where to begin. I'm cranking thing out as fast as I can.....cupcake hats, fruit caps, snowman hats, pumpkin hats....and have a special order for some baby mittens and another hat for the boys' swimming teacher. Eek! I guess I better get my 39 year old fingers moving.

No comments: